Thursday, February 5, 2009

MEET MR WEIR.....






this was taken last april'08 at a super secret session with fox and yeti on gooseberry mesa that i found out about and poached, it was a lot of fun the first two days, the yeti guys hooked me up on an '09 575 full xtr with an '09 fox fork attached, it was a sick ride but i felt it handled differently than my 575, they lowered the bottom bracket on the new bikes and i pinged a lot of things that i dont usually hit, however, i did climb some things much earier at the goose on that bike and i cleaned a section that i never had and still havent since. so i would have to say that i would love to get the chance to race that new 575 with all the bling on it... dream on lizard boy, dream on...



anywho, the point of it was getting to ride with weir !



it was funny, i had just pulled up and was getting my gear on and this ford suv comes flying up the road, doing fish tails and bouncing off the rocks. (for those of you who know the goose) the ford came screaming through that last cattle guard at the trail head and slammed on the brakes sliding right in between the fox and yeti trailers with a big cloud of dust. two guys got out laughing their asses off, it was classic, i didnt know who they were at first, then that wtb jersey came out and i knew right away. i was just kinda milling around checking every thing out and getting to know everyone when anthony from yeti came up and said he had a ride for me and "lets set it up", so i went to the trailer and we measured some things and added some air and moved some controlls around and it was off to the south rim. the other guy that came with mark was the photographer " forrest" youve seen his stuff and dont even know it, great day out there and when we got back they all invited me back the next day.
this thing all happened during the week so i had to lie and sluff work, i think i even faked being sick at work, but hey man i wasnt going to miss this for nothing. when i woke up the next day i headed for the mesa and got there about the same time as every body else, mark and forrest asked me to go out with them for a minute and show them some cool places to get pics, i took them to the practice loop because there are some great views of zion and some really cool sections to make style points,( i wanted to show these guys something, who wouldnt on their home turf ?) and i was able to really push the pace, as i was the previous day, cause this is my desert, and my vortex. so we were out for a minute but had to return, after all this is a job for these guys and i guess the boss was coming today, and when we got back there she was, never caught her name, she wasnt very nice for sure, she was the head fox lady, and when she found out i was a nobody she came over to me and said," i dont mean to be a bitch but, WE dont want you here and WE dont want you riding our stuff", it was all i could do not to say something stupid and make a scene, cuz , well thats what i do once in a while, but i didnt, i kept my cool looked at her and said ok.
it was good fortune that i had my bike on top of my truck that day, i mean shit,i had faked being sick to make this thing, so the first thing i thought after her walking away was go sit in the truck untill they leave, she can keep me off their bikes but she cant keep me off MY trails ! so when they rode away i started to get my bike down, anthony (the yeti guy) walked up and asked me what i was doing, i said " you saw (she did this in front of everyone) im not to ride her bikes" he looked at me and said, " go ride that bike i set up for you, just stay away from the tests", what a cool ass mutha, huh ? i went out there and pounded that equipment, i jumped things and rolled off things that i never do to my bikes, it was a gas. when i returned the fox lady had taken part of the group again but weir was in the pit, he took me to the side and told me that no one understood why she did what she did but that she was the boss, you know ? he gave me his email and we have remained in contact since, although its been a while, we hung out at interbike for a while before he had to fly out and i think he is in africa right now, get ahold of me man!!
so im out the door today, i think i will head over to snow canyon, do the climb and maybe head for enterprize, i really want to go into the mountains at pine valley, that road is really pretty, kinda reminds me of the wasatch. maybe thats where i will go, get back to you later, let you know how it goes....here lizard lizard lizard.........

1 comment:

  1. Huh, you never told me the part of your story about the FOX lady giving you a hard time. That's pretty lame seeing as how much of a die-hard FOX person you are. That was pretty lame.

    ReplyDelete